In April I ran the SLC Half Marathon for the second year in a row. As mentioned previously, in the fall I came in just over 2 hrs in the Snow Canyon Half and was determined to make my next race in under 2. I am sad to have to admit that this did not happen, although I knew that going into it on race morning. I simply had gotten lazy and just did not train to finish in that time. Nonetheless, it was another great race for a couple of reasons: 1. I had my running buddy back. Saff and I trained and ran part of the race together. 2. Liz, one of my lifelong friends from growing up, came up from Vegas with a couple of her friends to run it with me! Liz and I ran together in high school (me for track and her for soccer), yet we have never run a race together, so it was something we had both dreamed of for years.

Day-before-the-race traditional packet pick up at Salt Palace. Liz wanted a pic with our numbers and I would have never thought of that but it turned out cute. She's the master picture taker/blogger ;)

Pre-race photo op (Saffron in left pic, Liz in right). Love the energy at the beginning of this race! It starts out running under the Olympic Legacy Bridge up by the U and the SLC mayor as well as a gospel choir are standing above you on the bridge in the moments prior to the gunshot start, singing and giving words of encouragement.

For yet another year, I am in my finishing moments of adrenaline, exhaustion, euphoria, and who can even remember what else as I am about to cross the finish line, while everyone in the crowd just peers right past me as the marathon winner is coming down the last stretch. I swear this happened last year too and I thought everyone was cheering for me but Ry informed me of the truth. I thought I was just that amazing, then seeing the pics I realized nobody even cared about me. How rude...at least I had my cheering section in Ryan and Will, as usual. They are devoted fans.
(Side note: yes, I realize how utterly deflating it is to realize the marathon winner is finishing at the same time I am after only running HALF the distance he did!)

Another successful race and it feels good to be done!

Seriously that apple was pretty much the most amazing apple I've had in my whole life! Not even kidding. Also, my cheering squad and Ty and Saff.

Ok hilarious story about this massage therapist. He worked on me last year after the race and was so good that when I got to the front of the line I requested to wait for him. When he came over he literally picked me up, threw me over his shoulder, and carried me to the table! Then he set me down and made quite the scene, calling everyone within 40 ft to attention and making them all say,"Hello Dawn!" in unison. He saw me waiting for him so I guess he figured he would make me never forget the moment cause he was so flattered. He is the instructor for all the students there giving massages after the race, hence why he is so good. I remembered him being pretty fun and quirky last year, so I wasn't very surprised, but I was incredibly embarrassed, which isn't the most common thing for me. It was fun though. I got him back by telling him I just asked the guy at the front of the line if I could wait for the "old man" to massage me.
Results:
Time 2:09:25
Pace 9:52
Age Division 277/623
Place Overall 2274/4632
Gender Overall 1097/2886
So like I said, not my goal but not my worst either. I am currently training for the Top of Utah Half in the end of August that takes places up a canyon by Logan. It's Saffron's favorite (NE Utah canyon in the fall, can you say GORGEOUS?) and she said it's a fast course so I should easily make it under 2 hours. Once again, the bar is set!
1 comments:
Wow! I so wish I would have made it into the Utah Valley Half after reading this! I tried to register in April for it and it wasn't until June and it was already full! I was so bummed! But I guess it ended up okay since my knee was pretty bad that day anyway and I was running SUPER slow and pretty miserable! I can't wait for my Marathon now!! Good for you Dawn! Oh by the way, my "bloggy-friend" knows you from Vegas. I guess she is good friends with a lot of your good friends. Her name is Marylin. She saw your picture on my last post about our RS retreat and pointed you out! Such a small world!
Post a Comment