Thursday, January 7, 2010

Traditions

Ever since the first year we were married we have wanted to have our own Christmas traditions. That first year we thought of the tradition to buy a new ornament for the tree (typical) that is in the shape of a silver star (not so typical) each year. So our tree is only decorated with silver stars (and one particular silver snowflake that I didn't even realize wasn't a star until Ry unwrapped it Christmas morning and through fits of smirking pointed it out to me. Oops.) Outside of that, not much has come to us in 5 years of Christmases together. Until now. On Christmas Eve we woke up and decided to take Will swimming, and a new tradition was born. What's more Christmas-y than a cannonball into the deep end?? So every Christmas Eve, whether in Utah or Jamaica, you will find us at the closest swimming pool.

That evening we joined Ryan's family for a candlelit dinner and a walk around temple square, which are their traditions on Christmas Eve that I love! I was trying to save this post until I got some of the pictures of that from Jessica, but that will have to wait for another time.


In his snow boots & swimsuit ready for the pool! Classic.


He has now mastered the art of going down the slide without coercion, and I think every time he does it he thinks, "Why didn't I figure out how fun this was earlier?!"

Doing his "Spidey crawl" along the edge that he learned in swim lessons.

Good lookin' dudes, although Will looks a little scared in this one.



Our own little version of The Joker.

4 comments:

Jon & Jen said...

Love the picture with Will in his swimsuit shorts and the snow boots in the car seat.

Jessi McCall said...

That is AWESOME!! We try hard to think of traditions too. It's hard, but this is the best I've heard of!! I wish we had indoor pools here.
Will is a cutie. I'm impressed with his swim skills. Good job, MOM!
Hope you all had a great holiday!!

Liz Prisbrey said...

Oh, how fun!! What a great idea to go swimming. I bet Will loved it. Traditions are what make the holidays.

Kevin + Marcy said...

That's cool that you've already got Will some swim lessons under his belt. That gets me thinkin' that maybe we'll do them with Marshall this summer. I'll have to find out from you who you went through. And by the way, super fun and original tradition!